The GEO has heard from many members who want to know what has been happening at the contract negotiation sessions with the university administration. While the best way to be in the know is to come to the bargaining sessions, we will provide weekly updates here on the sessions and the progress, or lack thereof, towards reaching a new contract. Past updates are here.
Bargaining sessions are on Wednesdays in University Hall (UH) 650. Next session: November 18, 1:30pm.
The GEO met with the University for our 16th bargaining session on 11/11. We have now been in bargaining for more than 6 months and working without a contract for almost 3. The University passed us a comprehensive proposal (meaning it addressed every article in the contract), which was as terrible, if not more terrible, than we expected. Highlights include (in the order they appear in the contract):
- The University wants the rights to take away appointments without replacing them even after the offer letter is signed (This is a right we already have under the contract!!!)
- No change to the minimum and only campus wage program increases for continuing students
- No change to fees including Campus Care
- The University wants to collect signed member cards before they have given us a list of members for the semester
- The University wants the right to immediately terminate members who fail to complete ethics training
- The University wants to end guaranteed tuition waivers