RESEARCH ASSISTANT TO WRITE ABOUT HEALTH RESEARCH
“The UIC Institute for Health Research and Policy seeks a graduate research assistant with strong writing skills to support communications about federally funded public health research. The successful candidate will implement an established communications strategy, curating content and writing messages for Twitter and Facebook; maintain and update a WordPress website; track audience benchmarks (Web traffic and social interaction); monitor trends in use of emerging media, marketing and advertising for health; and write and edit content for the website and a blog.
We’re looking for someone with a warm and witty yet professional writing voice who is very interested in the intersection of media and public health, especially tobacco control. This position will be an excellent introduction to both the academic research environment and professional health communications.
• Strong writing skills, with a clear, engaging style
• Social media experience, preferably in the workplace
• Ability to handle several priorities at once and see projects to completion
• Strong interest in tobacco control and the use of social media to improve public health and reduce health disparities
• Availability for the weekly team meeting on Mondays from 11 to 12:30
• Familiarity with WordPress and social media management tools like Tweetdeck or SproutSocial
• Experience writing for the public
• HTML knowledge
• An understanding of social or health science research methods
This position includes a tuition waiver and the possibility of using research data for capstone or dissertation research.
To apply, forward as soon as possible (1) a resume, (2) a cover letter describing your skills and experience, and (3) PDFs of 2 writing samples to:
Director of IHRP Communications
To ensure prompt consideration, write “Research Assistantship” in the subject line.
No calls, please.”