Graduate Assistant Positions are available in Student Leadership Development and Volunteer Services and the Commuter Student Resource Center for 2014-2015
All positions are 50% and include a tuition waiver and stipend. Attached are descriptions for the open positions and contact information. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis. The final deadline for materials is Wednesday, March 19, 2014.
Title: CSRC GRADUATE ASSISTANT (contingent on funding)
FTE: 0.5 (20 hours weekly, during regular business hours)
Calendar: I: Summer 2014 July 16, 2014 – August 15, 2014
II: Fall 2014 August 16, 2014 – December 15, 2014
III: Spring 2015 January 5, 2015 – May 15, 2015
The Graduate Assistant, under the direction of the Associate Director of Student Development Services, will serve
the Commuter Student Resource Center. The Graduate Assistant will focus on collaboratively planning and
facilitating site services and events and have important impact on the Commuter Assistant program. Specifically,
the Graduate Assistant will:
• Coordinate and implement the programming and event production initiates of the Commuter Student
Resource Center (CSRC).
• Provide outreach to UIC student groups, colleges, and offices through presentations and consultations to
promote programs, resources, and services.
• Research current issues, literature, and resources in commuter and non-traditional student education.
• Assist the Associate Director with long- and short-term projects and initiatives.
• Assist with management of the Commuter Student Resource Center facility and daily supervision of
student staff members.
• Assist with recruiting, selecting, training, monitoring and evaluating student workers serving as office
assistants and/or peer advocates.
• Update website related to Commuter Student Resource Center programs and events.
• Provide appropriate resource referrals to students on a walk-in basis.
• Initiate and maintain contact with student organizations and university departments.
• Attend Commuter Student Resource Center events and meetings as negotiated.
• Provide office coverage as scheduled, and other duties as assigned.
Special Skills Required:
• Working knowledge (or familiarity with) of issues facing commuter students
• Event planning experience
• Experience in an administrative office setting a plus
• Strong oral and written communications skills a must
• Proven organizational skills (attention to details and manage multiple tasks)
• Ability to work independently and as a team member is expected
• Good at multitasking and with follow-through
• Comfortable speaking to groups and giving presentations
• Capable of working with a wide spectrum of diverse students
• Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel, and Publisher
To apply, submit résumé, cover letter, and list of 3 references to the CSRC, c/o Elizabeth Kubik
(firstname.lastname@example.org), by 12pm on Wednesday, March 19.